What is the treatment for painful wrist despite taking IBU and wearing a split?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am having wrist pain cant move hand to the pinky side very painful taking ibu and wearing a split but not getting better there is a knot there sore to the touch and started 2 weeks ago first it was just itching bad then all the pain and limited movement
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: possibility of De Quervain's tenosynovitis. Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case, I consider that there was no injury/trauma to your wrist. As per your history there is possibility of De Quervain's tenosynovitis. Physiotherapy like USG and TENS will help in relieving symptoms. Avoid twisting activity of wrist. Till time continue your medication. If not relieved local steroid injection will help, you can take that after consulting your treating doctor. Last aspect remains surgical release as long term cure. Another probability of carpal tunnel can be considered in which there is swelling over wrist .There is nerve compression near wrist which leads to pain on movement.MRI wrist may help in diagnosis along with clinical examination. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.