What is the treatment for painful sensation in back of throat?

Apr 2014

Hi Dr. I've had a sensation in the back of my throat for about 6 weeks. It's not really painful, but it feels like I need to clear my throat or swallow something down. I don't have any trouble swallowing, or breathing. About once a day, I'll have a brief episode where I'll cough quite violently for about 10 seconds, followed by a very rapid inhaling. It's uncomfortable, but goes as quickly as it comes. I'm left with some temporary hoarseness. The cough is productive, but not much is produced.
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It may be due to post nasal drip or acid reflux. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Sensation in the back of throat may be due to post nasal drip and it is due to allergic rhinitis.Acid reflux can also cause same symptoms. You can take combination tablet of pantoprazole 40 mg and domperidone10 mg half hour before food for six weeks. You should also take short course of antibiotics like tablet Roxithromycin 150 mg twice daily for five days. You need proper evaluation by ENT specialist.If there is allergic rhinitis then you need treatment. You can take Cyproheptadine for post nasal drip. Steroid inhaler may be needed depending upon severity. Other common causes like pharyngitis,dust exposure,common cold etc should also be excluded. You need investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,Chest X-ray(PA view).Further investigations can be done if needed. You should avoid alcohol and smoking completely if you take it. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX