What is the treatment for knot on top of my head?

Hi! My 63 old husband was born with a knot on top of his head: he said it has never bothered him until the last 3 or 4 days. Red, very tender to slightest touch, headaches. I think his left pupil is different. The following is not connected but could it be? He is a 100% disabled Vietnam Nam vet ( 1994 cancer removed part of tongue ; 2004 cancer returned, removed more tongue, vocal cords, and the skin graph from the throat surgery failed to provide enough skin, thus his posture has been stooped ever since. 6'8" which has created a a hunchback effect. Thank you, XXXXXXX Us
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Not connected... Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXXXX I went through the details posted with diligence. And in my opinion, I don't think the difference you see in his left pupil and the knot on top of his head are related. A knot that has remained benign since birth usually is not sinister. However the knot / cyst may undergo inflammatory changes secondary to infection or other cause giving rise to tenderness, redness and pain. Secondary inflammation is most likely responsible for the fresh changes. And I don't think these secondary changes would be the cause of pupil asymmetry. I would recommend that he consults his regular doctors who can examine the knot for secondary changes and treat it accordingly. In the meantime, he can use over the counter antiinflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen 400mg twice a day after food for 3-5 days to control pain. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards