Burning throat after throat surgery, enlarged taste buds, easily choke, pain in facial bones, low IgB.

ENT Specialist
XXXXXXX 30, 2011 I had radiofrequency of my nose turbinates and exploratory surgery of my throat. A benign cyst was removed from my throat. (I can't for the life of me figure out why the doc shrunk my turbinates to nothing). Anyway, I can't heal. I have had a burning, raw throat since then, accompanied by enlarged taste buds. It feels like popcorn kernals in the back of my throat. The inside of my throat feels thick and swollen. I choke easily. Every bone in my face to my ears and teeth, hurt. My ENT says he can't make me well and referred me to another ENT, who after months saw me and said he had discussed my case with the first ENT and nothing was wrong and referred me to a rheumotoligist! Meanwhile, it was discovered the my Immunogoblin G, class B was low. I waited 6 wks to see a hematologist, which I just knew was going to fix that which would fix the throat surgery recovery. NOT. He referred me to a Infecious disease doc. I need a Dr. House.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

It is very unfortunate that you had to suffer from a series of problems. I would try my best to help you in this regard and suggest a suitable remedy.

Regarding the radiofrequency ablation for the reduction of the nasal turbinates, the dryness of the nose and throat do occur after turbinoplasty as there is insufficient nasal mucosa over the turbinates to humidify the air, which is termed as atrophy. Dryness can lead to irritation of the nose and throat also.

The dryness of the throat with enlargement of the lymphoid follicles (popcorn kernals as described by you) along the base of the tongue can induce cough and choking as the follicles touch the posterior pharyngeal wall which is very sensitive.

It would be very helpful if you could please elaborate about the location of the cyst in the throat and the name of the surgery performed to excise the same? Secondly, if you can upload the CT scan copies if any, it would be very helpful. You have an option on the right hand side of the web page through which you can upload the files.

If you can come back with answer regarding the throat surgery, I will be able to help you in a better way.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon