Jaw surgery,malocclusion,sleep apnea,throat surgery needed?

ENT Specialist
About 10 years ago, my orthodontist recommended that I get jaw surgery to take care of my overjet. He warned that if I don't get the jaw surgery, then I would have jaw issues (challenges chewing) later in life. Should I revisit getting the surgery now that I can afford it? I currently do not have any chewing issues, but wonder if there would be a reason to believe that I should go see a jaw surgeon (no dentists have recommended the surgery since my orthodontist a decade ago).

I also have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (diagnosed in 2008). I use a CPAP (not regularly). 1) Would the jaw surgery help with my apnea and 2) Should I consider throat surgery for my apnea?

What would be the pros and cons of getting throat surgery? What are the pros and cons of getting jaw surgery? Are these procedures handled by different physicians? Would I have reason to believe that one would be more important than the other or that one surgery would obviate the need for the other?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank You for your query.

If you do not currently have jaw problems while eating, your body has adapted to your malocclusion. Hence no active management is required.

However, your retrognathism (overjet) may be responsible for your severe sleep apnea. A fresh sleep study (Polysomnography) and a Sleep Cine MRI can confirm the need for mandibular advancement surgery for severe sleep apnea. These investigations will reveal the level of your obstruction during sleep. If the palate or throat is involved, Radio frequency is the current method of palatal correction.
Another option is Coablation assisted SMILE (Submucosal Minimally Invasive Lingual Excison).

These surgeries are done by ENT or Maxillofacial surgeons. The decision of whether jaw or throat surgery is required depends upon your test results. You are correct in assuming that one of these procedures may obviate the need for another. If more than one procedure is required in your case, they should not be done in the same sitting.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, or if you wish to share your test results, I will be available to answer them.