What is the treatment for Epidermoid cyst on scrotum?

Jan 2014

Hello. About 4 years ago i had a "pimple" on my scrotum. However I could never get it to pop. Then after it grew to the size of a pea I was finally able to pop it and it disappeared. Then about a 2 years ago it started growing again. It got as big as a pea again but I couldn't pop it. I researched a bunch and discovered it to most likely be a cyst. Then I decided to do something silly and follow some instructions online of how to remove it myself. I used an exacto knife and made an incision. I reached the cyst and popped it and drained it. Then I removed the white sac that was holding the puss. I was proud of myself that it actually worked haha. However it's been weeks now and the cyst is gone but the affected area on my scrotum is still raised the size of a pea. Its squishy now because the cyst is gone but it's very noticeable and unsightly. What should I do? Surgery is all I can think of.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Either recurrent cyst OR scar tissue Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting at XXXXXXX Seems that you had Epidermoid cyst. I am a little surprised and shocked to know that you tried to remove it surgically on your own!! Anyways, coming back to the condition now. The general fact about Epidermoid cysts is: Both the cyst as well as the cyst wall have to be removed in entirety to get it cured completely otherwise it might recur again if a part of the wall is left behind. This could be the reason for the swelling that you have at present. OR If the cyst was completely removed along with its wall in entirety, then it could be just a Scar tissue. I would strongly recommend that you consult a dermatologist OR surgeon for a visual assessment of the exact nature of the swelling. take care regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for Epidermoid cyst on scrotum? 11 minutes later
Yea I definitely shouldn't have tried to remove it myself. Not my best decision. My guess is its scar tissue. It's not swollen. It's just raised skin that has been stretched and therefore can't go back to normal. I assume surgery is my only option. I just want to skip any unnecessary doctor appointments. Who should I go to first to avoid anything extra? Any idea the cost of an operation? I'm sure it can't be too drastic. Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would recommend going to surgeon Detailed Answer: It would be a minor thing, nothing drastic. Wont cost much i guess. take care regards
Follow-up: What is the treatment for Epidermoid cyst on scrotum? 2 days later
Should I just contact a general surgeons office? Is it a long process to get the surgery started? Such as multiple appointments etc?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Minor OT Procedure Detailed Answer: Hi. Yes you can contact general surgeon. It should be a very minor procedure for the surgeon. It can be done as a day care procedure. I think your surgeon can do it on the day you want it to be done. take care
Follow-up: What is the treatment for Epidermoid cyst on scrotum? 30 minutes later
How much does a procedure like that roughly usually cost without insurance?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Need to check it from the surgeon itself Detailed Answer: Hi. I would not be able to tell you the exact cost. You need to check it from the treating surgeon. Its a very minor procedure and its going to get over before you even think. It not going to cost you much though. Regards