What is the time frame for Soma to affect a person who is using it long-term?

Question
what is the time frame for XXXXXXX to begin affecting a female at 130 lbs,53 yrs. who has used this medication for two years off and on to eliminate dependancy.The other med onboard was morning dosage of tramadol 250mg.The XXXXXXX mg was 3x350 at 5:00pm,also note patient has been on and off fenteynal patches 100mg dosage for 8 years but not at this time(the point of this info relates to potenial tolerance. I am note sure if onset time frame of XXXXXXX is affected by tolerance?therefore,I have given past history which may apply to answer,thank you.......note;the above XXXXXXX dose
age was normal for patient
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare magic!
More than a week is enough for the effect and the doses you have mentioned would produce dependence in double that time, but you have abused them for two long years means you have a risk for developing withdrawal syndrome.
You should decrease the dose of Soma(carisoprodol) first to 350mg take at the same time as earlier, stop fentanyl and tramadol and add tablet Ultracet thrice a day and tablet Lorazepam 1mg thrice a day which should be tapered weekly to bd then OD.
You need to do this whole practice in supervision of your physician.
You should come out of the addiction in a month's duration.
Then if required choose safer drugs for pain and spasm advised by your physician.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!

Follow-up: What is the time frame for Soma to affect a person who is using it long-term? 48 hours later
The question was not phrased properly,I apologize.I appreciate your care however, I was not "addicted" to XXXXXXX and the mention of fentanyal was to let you understand the various treatments doctors had prescribed.Four levels of disc replacements and fusion, left me with a small level of tramadol and lyrica with physical therapy daily.My surgeon is known to be one of the best in the US and after years of alternative treatments the surgery was the last effort to restore my life of motherhood.So let's get back to the question;I need to know the time frame for the onset of XXXXXXX Therefore, if I took the amount of mgs mentioned above at 5:00 pm(and maybe the amount of drug might not effect onset,I MEAN IT HAS TO METABOLIZE), when would the drug begin to affect me that day?5:45 ,6:00 pm are guesses for I HAD a high tolerance and maybe the metabolite of XXXXXXX was the part of the drug that made me FEEL relaxed enough to release the muscles strangeling my nerves.The level of pain I felt at 5:00pm was at least an eight.so with all of this info,what time would you say the drug began to work intensely?(I don't understand why normally the drug would take such a long time to work for me)Question for my Pharmacology class??????Thank you for your time*

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 56 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,

Welcome back to healthcare magic Physician's desk!
Oh, what a gap of communication!
you wanted to know the time of Onset of Action of XXXXXXX at your age female,
I mistook it as if you wanted to know when patient gets addicted to it.
Anyway, XXXXXXX is well absorbed when taken orally and reaches in the peak levels of drugs in about 90-120 minutes.
The onset of effect may be peaking at the same time or it may be delayed considerably and varies person to person.
Reason being the drug it metabolised in liver to it's active metabolite meprobamate which is accountable for most of the activity.
The patient who is fast metabolizer will have a normal onset and a slow metabolizer will have a delayed and varying onset of action and may not find the drug interesting at all. So it's your genes which will decide whether you will benefit from some or not.
You have a host of other fantastic options.
The regimens your clinician would tailor make for you.
I think the advise would be helpful for you.

If you still have queries if any, please feel free to communicate back.

And if satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to express your feelings in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What is the time frame for Soma to affect a person who is using it long-term? 3 hours later
JUST QUICKLY,WHEN YOU SAY "PEAK" IS THAT THE SAME AS HALF LIFE?YOU DESCRIBED A" NORMAL "METABOLIZER,SO IF THAT PERSON TOOK THE AMOUNT OF XXXXXXX AS ABOVE AT 5:00PM WHAT TIME WOULD THAT PERSON FEEL THE ONSET AND WHAT TIME DOES THE FAST METABOLIZER FEEL THE DRUG?IS THE ONSET OF A DRUG CHANGE BECAUSE THAT PERSON TOOK MORE?I AM ONLY REFERING TO THE TIME OF ONSET NOT HOW MUCH THEY FELT-SO BACK TO 5:00PM AND WHEN?AND WOULD A TOLERANT PERSONS ONSET BE DIFFERENT?IF YOU CAN PLS TRY TO ANSEWER WITH THE CLOCK THAT BEGINS WHEN THESE VARIOUS PATIENTS SWALLOW THE PILLS AT FIVE;YOUR GREAT AND ITS BEEN A PLEASURE..

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

Thanks for your compliment to me!
First let me explain that the peak level is different from half life.
A patient take the pill XXXXXXX at 5.0, it will get absorbed in the gut to enter the blood. After some time much of the blood would be in the blood and much less left in the gut.
Body starts metabolism at the first site and the excretion also this in what body does to the drug and is termed pharmacokinetics. But the drug would also start it's action from very start- that is when it has started entering the system. This called pharmacodynamics.
When a drug is active itself the maximum effect would match it's maximum level in the plasma. After which body starts excreting the available drug in the circulation and the serum drug levels start falling and come down to half the peak levels, this is called T1/2 life of that drug.
Conceptually if you take XXXXXXX at 5.0pm then according to peak levels at 6.50-7.00pm the maximum effect also should be at the same time, but XXXXXXX is a pro-drug and need to be changed into active metabolite meprobamate which takes additional an hour displacing the peak effect at 8.00pm for normal metabolizer.
Rapid metabolizer would have it earlier depending on the rapidity of his metabolism and a slow metabolizer will get the peal later and with blunted effect.
With tolerance your metabolism become faster and receptor sensitivity and density goes down, leading to an early onset of effect but needing more drug to bring the same relief as before.
I think this explanation would be helpful for you.

Follow-up: What is the time frame for Soma to affect a person who is using it long-term? 7 hours later
THE ONLY PART OF YOUR ANSEWER THAT IM STILL NOT UNDERSTANDING IS;DOES AMOUNT OF DRUG CHANGE THE TIME OF ONSET?MEANING IF A PERSON SWALLOWED ONE PILL AT 5:OOPM AND ANOTHER SWALLOWED THREE AT THAT TIME WOULD THEY BOTH BEGIN TO FEEL THE AFFECTS OF THE DRUG AT THE SAME TIME?OBVIOUSLY THE INTENSEITY WOULD BE DIFFERENT BUT WOULD ONSET BE DIFFERENT TIMEWISE?ALSO IS THE METABOLITE THAT MAKES A PERSON SLEEPY OR NOT REMEMBER WHAT THEY DID? THESE PEOPLE COULD HAVE OTHER DRUGS ON BOARD IF YOU TELL ME THAT WOULD NOT HAPPEN TO SOMEONE WHO WAS USE OR FAMILIAR WITH THE DRUG? I PROMISE NO MORE QUESTIONS.I WISH OUR TEACHER WAS AS CLEAR AS YOU!!!THX,THX,THX

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 17 hours later
Hi XXXXXX,

As I told you in latest answer that the level in blood increases steadily as the drug gets absorbed and then it reaches the peak level and then declines.
The drug starts it effect as soon as it reaches the target organs but to sense the effect there should be a critical level of drug in action.
You can guess easily that a person three tablets will have earlier onset the effect and also the stronger effect, but it would not be three times faster as might seem probable, because the absorption is a slow process.

If really satisfied with my solution then please accept the answer and take a moment to express your feelings in the Review Section about my Clinical skills!

Wish you a great XXXXXXX