What is the reason for stomach ache,vomiting and leg pain for a 5 year old child?

My 5 year old woke up this morning with his tummy hurting and then he started vomiting and he says his legs are hurting It's not the first time he has done this but it only lasts about 5 hours and then he seems fine. It's happened maybe 3 times before.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 27 minutes later

Pain abdomen followed by vomiting in a five year old is commonly due to indigestion. As the episode usually passes off in 4-5 hours, there is very little chance of any serious infection.

The pain in the legs following vomiting may be due to fluid depletion causing a weakness and loss of energy. If the child points to his joints during the leg pain then arthritis is a possibility and needs to be examined by pediatrician.

1. You can give him soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.
2.Replace lost fluid and salts:Give him broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables.
3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow ups.