What is the reason for non-availability of Lomotil Tablets without prescription?

My query is in relation to the general availability of Lomotil Tablets. Has any clinical, pharmacological or other reason come to light in recent times as to why these tablets should not be available on prescription? Here in the UK the sole manufacturer/supplier ceased making them sometime in 2012 for reasons which are not at all clear and keeps promising that the tablets will be available in the future. I am beginning to suspect that the non-availability of this medication is due to some other reason. I have had IBS since the early 1980s and Lomotil, which I have been prescribed since then, has proved most effective.
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Co-Phentrope,Irrational combination.

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

Lomotil was prescribed for IBS and it contains diphenoxylate and atropine.

Diphenoxylate is anti-diarrheal and is related to the narcotic drug meperidine. So because of the relation to opioid the chances of mild drug dependency on long-term use is present.
Atropine is not an anti-diarrheal but in over dosage(which may occur due to dependency of other combination drug -Diphenoxylate) it can lead to tachycardia and other serious side effects.
So based on these the production of this drug has been reduced.

In United States it is available as lomotil but in UK its british approved generic name is co-phenotrope.

You can ask your drug dispenser with the above said name or else contact the manufacturer for further details..
Mercury Pharmaceuticals Ltd, No. 1 Croydon, 12-16 Addiscombe Road, Croydon CR0 0XT, UK. Medical Information e-mail: YYYY@YYYY

Hope this helps you. Feel free to ask if any related queries.

Follow-up: What is the reason for non-availability of Lomotil Tablets without prescription? 34 hours later
Dr Lohit,
Am I to take it that, so far as the UK is concerned, Lomotil is no longer available and has been replaced by a generic substitute called 'Co-phenotrope'? Could you explain exactly who, or which organisation, decided that this should be the case. Also, why then is Goldshield Pharmaceuticals/AmdiPharm Mercury telling me that Lomotil will be available in the UK at the end of October 2013?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Only company will know exact reason.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Thanks for writing back.

The drug is not banned. So it will be in market for its use.

I explained you about the possible pharmacological reason you had asked for. (Has any clinical, pharmacological or other reason come to light in recent times as to why these tablets should not be available on prescription?)

You can follow the link below for more information.

1. WWW.WWWW.WW Mercury Pharma will be out of stock of Lomotil tablets (atropine sulfate, diphenoxylate hydrochloride) until January 2013. However the generic equivalent, co-phenotrope tablets, are available from Mercury Pharma. Medical information on 0000 0000. Further information on 020 8588 9441 .

2. WWW.WWWW.WW uk/webfm_send/3565
Tells temporarily unavailable. Date not given.

Only Company will be knowing the exact reason behing its marketing. So now they are telling out of stock.
I hope this clarified your doubts. Feel free to ask if any related query.

Wish you good health.