What is the reason for intermittent piercing pain in hip when turning over in bed?

Sudden piercing pain in left side by hip when turning over in bed. Quickly comes and goes. Experiencing it for about 2 months on and off...not every night. What is it?
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Kindly send in the requested medical data... Detailed Answer: Hi, Before running to the answer, I'd like to know: - what kind of cholesterol medication you take? - for how long have you been taking ? The pain in the left side of hip you experience might be due to: - arthritis - cholesterol medication (statins) Looking forward to have the requested medical data! Dr.Alba
Follow-up: What is the reason for intermittent piercing pain in hip when turning over in bed? 7 minutes later
Pravastatin 40 mgs 1 a day for about 10 years.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi again, Thank you for sending in the requested data. Pravastatin you are taking is of statin group. You are reporting to use it for 10 years. One of the side effects of statins is muscle cramping. So, I suggest to talk about this side effect to your doctor. Another factor could be intestinal problems. Have you been experiencing constipation or changes in your bowel movement recently? Other causes might be related to: - urinary tract problems : have you experienced changes in your urine flow? - genital problems So, I suggest to : - do abdominal ultrasound - do urine analysis - run complete blood work - measure the levels of electrolytes in the blood Looking forward to have the additional questions kindly answered! Thank you! Dr.Alba