What is the reason for inflammation in small intestine, upper abdominal pain pain and lack of appetite ?

I have upper abdomen pain.... low grade fever.... and have not been hungry for week... I went to hospital. early sunday morning.. my white blood count was high the first day 95.... then the next it was 25.... they did CT scan of my abdomen and found inflammation of my small intestines... near my appendix... they sent me home on Monday.. and since then my fever has been around 37.5. it has been up to 37.8 and down to 36.8.... and NO HUNGER at all.... NONE,, I eat only 3 bites of food cuz I get the shakes...... the pain is now a dull pain just right of my bellybutton.... it gets worse when I get up and move around.... I have been like this for a week.... I feel horrible and my body aches a lot.... there is NO nausea or diarrhea....
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 7 hours later
This advice is based upon history as provided by the patient as there is no Physician – Patient relationship established. The patient has not been examined per se. The advice is not valid for medico-legal purposes.

The symptoms are vague. It could possibly be a viral infection of the intestine. Jejunitis or Ileitis. Since it is at the ileocecal junction (appendix in CT scan), I would also do a Barium follow studies before labelling as Ileitis.

I would also think in terms of Intestinal Tuberculosis if there is a family history of TB or a high prevelance in the community. Get a Mantoux test done.

You need to be treated vigorously for the symptoms with antispasmodics or infact opioids (better ones). The appetite takes a long time to return to normal, that can be a couple of weeks to a month.

The medications kill your appetite though. Natural remedies help better in bringing back your appetite. Rely on soups, mashed veggies, fruits like papaya and pineapple which bring in some appetite.