What is the problem if I have a high level of liver enzymes?

My wife she is 59 4'10'' height with 54kg weight. perfactly normal . Visited
india from XXXXXXX 13 to feb 12. Feb 10 she had a high liver enzyme of 113 ast & 98 ALT. billirubin & other thing was normal . She is not on any medicine. Blood test on Feb. 16 in USA including hepaticic was normal.
May 28 she has 411 ALP 211 AST & 178 ALT Her ultra sound in india was normal on Feb.10. What could be issue with liver. what other test she require. I do not have insurance.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 12 hours later

Thanks for the query

Hepatic inflammation is reflected by the elevation of liver enzymes.

The clinical profile and the varying patterns of raise in these three enzymes help to decide on the type of liver injury. Further the normal range for these values varries between different labs. Hence i would need the clinical details as to why she underwent the blood tests at the first place and the normal values of these AST, ALT, ALP to help you further.

But by considering the commonly used reference values, this appears to be a case of "anicteric hepatitis".

Common causes of them are viral infections like HAV, HEV, HBV and HCV. As there is a history of travel to India and provided there was no exposure to any contaminated body fluids probability of HAV, HEV hepatitis is high.

Looking forward to your reply.

Follow-up: What is the problem if I have a high level of liver enzymes? 32 hours later
Hi , Thanks for ur answer. She went for general blood report in India in Feb. & found out liver enzyme was high. There was no specific reason. She is in perfect health.
She is not on any medicine. Her previously mention Ranges for ALP (30-115),ALT
(5-50)& AST (5-50). I am going for another blood test in next 8 hours. Do you suggest anymore blood test. Or what needed to be done next. Do you suggest any medicine. I will appreciate if you can explain in details. Thanks for ur time. God bless you. XXXXXXX Gothi
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later

Thanks for the information,

All the enzymes are elevated around 3.5 - 4 times the normal. I would suggest additional tests like HBsAg, antiHAV IgM, anti HEV IgM and USG abdomen.

Please get back with the results