What is the possibility of recurrence post radiation and chemo treatment for triple negative breast cancer ?

May 2013
I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer on 7-27-2012. Did 6 chemo treatments and 33 radiation treatment.From what I read on line and health books it seems that the recurrence rate for this type of cancer is higher . How much higher?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Risk is double in first five years Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Compared with other breast cancers, the risk of recurrence is double in case of triple negative breast cancer. The possibility of recurrence is high in the first five years. After that the risk of recurrence is equal to other breast cancers. Recurrence usually occurs through the lymphatic channels. But as you have undergone chemo and radiotherapy the possibility of recurrence is less. If breast tissue is remaining after these therapies, you may need regular checkups and mammography examinations. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.