What is the need for exploratory surgery after test results are inconclusive?
User rating for this question
Can you please tell me why they would do exploratory surgery after test results have come back inconclusive?
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. We can say that explorative surgery is a kind of test. You need to know that either ultrasound or CT is not able to diagnose every disease. There is a lot of issues which are invisible for this tests even if the symptoms are present. The most common disease which usually needs explorative surgery is endometriosis. Some tumors can also be hard to diagnose without surgery. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the need for exploratory surgery after test results are inconclusive? 6 minutes later
Def. not endo. She (my sister) has been experiencing flu like symptoms since last Wednesday. Severe dehydration, and other flu like symptoms, however none of these symptoms are getting better. She has been in hospital on IV to treat the dehydration, had x-rays and a CT done - all of which came back either negative or inconclusive. She is now in surgery having exploratory surgery.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Well, another common issue is bowels obstruction. It can give symptoms mentioned by you. But it is really hard to guess especially that many tests were done and it is hard to establish the reason. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the need for exploratory surgery after test results are inconclusive? 28 minutes later
Exploratory surgery found nothing. No obstructions, no tumours, nothing out the ordinary. Now what? They've put her in ICU.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Now every surgical problem has been ruled out. But still no diagnosis. If she has had diarrhea and/or vomiting as a reason of dehydration, colonoscopy seems to be necessary. She may have bad infection or some inflammatory bowels disease. If the reason of dehydration was increased amount of urine, kidneys failure might be the reason and/or infection in that part. Its really hard to tell not knowing her tests results. She will be now hydrated and secured with antibiotics. In case of kidney failure, dialisis will be performed. As soon as her condition will get better, some other tests probably will be done. Hope this will help. Regards.
People also viewed
- Calves having painful cramps sore what cane done
- Drugs/medication for sleep talking
- What does inconclusive result on pregnancy test mean
- Diverticulitis hiatus hernia taking alendronic acid what can i do
- Lower stomach pain had follicules had fostimon chlomifene help
- Drugs/medication for vivax malaria
- Drugs/medication for capillary hemangioma
- Exploratory heart surgery
- No appetite fever pain around belly button abdominal pain
- All reports normal pain heaviness in stomach possible cause
- Drugs/medication for lower lip cancer
- Is exploratory surgery safe for hernia
- Mri done what does results suggest do i need surgery
- Drugs/medication for soft chancre
- What is the cause for inconclusive drug test