Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the dangly thing underneath my tongue?

Hi I have a little dangley thing under my tongue that if I put pressure on it
It hurts a little
Posted Sun, 11 Nov 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
The under side of tongue is very vascular and contains lots of areolar tissue embedded with lymphoid tissues.
The lump if has developed recently and is painful then it can be a local infection or just a reactionary swelling due to infection/boil in the nearby region.
Another possibility is a swelling due to stone in the Wharton's duct of the salivary gland.
Another possibility is overgrowth of the local soft tissues.
It is advisable that you get examined by an ENT surgeon and get treatment after investigations.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!