What is the cure for prolonged dry cough with restricted breathing while taking steroid treatment for respiratory problem?

Hi I have a constantly recurring respiratory problem . Breathing becomes severely restricted usually following the onset of cold/flu . I V antibiotics and steroid treatment is usually commenced in hospital . Bronchoscopy will usually show thick mucus which is normally washed out as much as possible to help the breathing . Oxygen levels are normally good around 96%. I was discharged following such an episode two weeks ago but am on the verge of returning to hospital . Prolonged dry cough with restricted breathing is an ongoing problem . Should I return to hospital and should I be concerned ? I am an ex smoker 10 years . I am 54 years of age and smoked for approx 25 years about 20 a day . Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated . Kind regards and best wishes . Karl henry .
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Vijay Varma 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bronchodilator inhalation Detailed Answer: Hello sir, You should go back to the ER or hospital for Bronchodilator therapy given by a specific apparatus. From the history you have given looks like you have frequent exacerbations of COPD which usually occurs due to long history of smoking. The treatment you received was appropriate. I think you need to get a pulmonary function test if not already done. It ll tell the extent of lung dysfunction . Regular chest physiotherapy, Bronchodilator inhalers, with steroids (based on severity) would be the optimal therapy. To reduce frequent hospital future visits steam inhalation would be a good home remedy even before the onset of symptoms or in the early symptoms. Hope this is clear.