What is the cure for itching and slight burning sensation around genital area?

Mar 2016

hi doctor, I am having itching around the genital area for past 1 month. there is not much pain but during intercourse also, I feel slight burning sensation. I tried using betnovate cream but there is no improvement. please help
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: FOLLOW THE GUIDELINE. STOP BETNOVATE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Vaginal itching or discomfort during sexual intercourse may be due to bacterial or yeast infection. Vaginal dryness and pH imbalance are the other causes. One vaginal swab culture test will be worthwhile to confirm the diagnosis. Here, you have to eliminate or correct certain predisposing factors like mental stress, lack of sleep, poor eating habits, hormonal imbalance, certain medicines (like hormone pills, antibiotics, steroids etc), cervicitis, diabetes, weak immune system, poor genital hygiene etc. BETNOVATE (Betamethasone) should be stopped. It may be aggravated by using chemical substance like lubricant or jelly with condom or soap/ detergent/ other bath products, causing repeated friction and irritation inside vagina. So, you have to modify all these things to get effective result. You can consult with your gynecologist for proper guidance. TREATMENT: 1) Vaginal suppository or anti-fungal cream like MONISTAT can be used for 3 to 5 days. Oral antibiotic can be given on the basis of swab culture test. 2) Use vaginal moisturizer cream or maintain vaginal pH with RepHresh pH gel to avoid repeated infection. VAGISIL cream should be used prior to intimation each time and maintain genital hygiene before and after sex. 3) Wear only clean and cotton underwear. Don't wear any tight fitting cloths or pants to avoid repeated friction/ irritation. Take sound sleep adequately. 4) Take healthy diet as you have mentioned with anti oxidant (like Vitamin -E or C, selenium, zinc, lycopene etc) supplements. Drink plenty of water or juice for better systemic circulation. You must avoid salty, sugary or fatty foods. 5) Your partner also needs one urine culture and sensitivity test to exclude any kind of asymptomatic infection or STD. Proper treatment is needed to avoid repeated infection. 6) Avoid chemical cosmetics or soap or scented bath products. Don't practice unprotected sexual intercourse till the problem is completely resolved. Hope, it helps for your information. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW