Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the cause of yellow and swollen tongue?

Wt this on my tongue n yelliw under tongue pls help Wt is this i hv gt m worried
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Could be plunging Ranula Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. I have seen the attached reports here.For now I can say please do not be worried and give me complete history. On the basis of images attached here I can see dilated veins underneath the tongue with mild discoloration and swelling which could be Ranula. Therefore to suggest you better in this regard please provide me few details. 1.when did you notice it first? 2.Any associated pain,pus or swelling.if so please mention?Do you feel any obstruction while swallowing,eating or talking? 3.Are you taking any medication for reasons other than dental? 4.Do you have or had any habits? 5.Any problems like bleeding from gums,tooth ache or jagged teeth? Awaiting your response. Thanks. Take care.
Follow-up: What is the cause of yellow and swollen tongue? 4 minutes later
I have got this From Last 2 weeks i hd thrush side effects of pencillin abocillin thn doctor prescribed me fungal losgenes n i hv gt this some discoloration is on cheeks as well n no habits at all n swelling on right cheek n ear pain please help n got bad taste in mouth
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suggested histologic examination for ranula Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. As I suggested you, it appears to be Ranula based on its location and duration. There is nothing to worry.It happens due to obstruction of one or more salivary gland ducts. The diagnosis can be confirmed by taking upon fluid from the lesion by needle aspiration technique and then histological (tissue) examination. Please visit your oral and maxillofacial surgeon for further help. Upon evaluation,if it happens to be the same then simple excision might help. Remember it happens to many people due to gland duct obstruction,the fluid(saliva) gets accumulated and therefore it should be allowed to flow. But definitely, it requires clinical attention as it has tendency to grow and reoccur. Hope I have given you complete answer.Please let me know for further doubts. Thanks. Take care.