What is the cause of sore throat and cough when on medication?

Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Hi ! This is Sun, age 32. I am have been smoking since 2013. I quite the smoking for 2 years but started again since last six months. Last few days I smoked lot cigarette . I was had cold and little fever. 10 days back I went out and had cold drinks and many cigarettes and started feeling like harshness and then I got the cold cough. I consulted to Doc and he did not see any reason for the cough. He given me some tables but it is not cured yet. It has been more than 10 days and I am not smoking but I am not finding any changes in throat sour. Morning time it is high and as the days pass I feel little comfort but no progress in cure. I have voice harness also but not sure it is because of cold. I am not sure if throat cancer be examined simply with one light. I know it happened because lots of smoke I inhaled but cough is not curing. Can you please tell me could be the reason.
Posted Mon, 10 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: Go for ENT checkup Detailed Answer: Hi. Smoking a lot of cigarettes irritates the throat and the whole respiratory tract, the black tar with the smoke gets deposited more if you have cold also as the mucosa is swollen. (It is like putting petrol on the flame). The soreness is more in the morning as the secretions are pent up ( collected) during the sleep. To rule out cancer - you need to go FOR ENT endoscopy and CT scan if thought necessary by the ENT specialist. The treatment you got was OK, But I would advise you to consult an ENT Surgeon who would examine you nicely, ask for tests and treat you with proper antibiotics, mucolytics and supportive therapy. Go for steam inhalations as they help you loosen the mucus and feel better. NO SMOKING of course. Try avoid all smelly things like scents, dhoopbattis , mosquito repellent mats , dust, dirt and animals. All these things together will help you a lot. Yes, it will take more time in your case due to history of smoking and Bangalore, as I know is polluted city now.
Follow-up: What is the cause of sore throat and cough when on medication? 25 minutes later
Thanks for reply, actually I do not get mucus, Its like dry cough. I forgot mentioned that I had drunk twice meanwhile, is that might be interrupting in healing. Anyway I stopped already.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Drinks affect healing Detailed Answer: Hi. Good to know you have stopped it. Yes, drinks affect the healing negatively as it causes/ increases inflammation and leads to delayed healing. The dry cough is more of a irritation cough. Steam inhalations do help in this too.