What is the cause for echogenic foci endometrium? Is this cancerous?

I want to know more about echogenic foci endometrium. what is the cause? is it cancerous? should i worry?
Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 45 minutes later
Thanks for trusting us as your source of information.
Echogenic foci in endometrium is an ultrasound terminology. I shall try my best to simplify it for you.
Ultrasound machines use sound waves to assess XXXXXXX organs & a picture is produced depending upon the sound waves which are reflected from different organs or structures. Experts know which type of picture is normal Which is not.
This picture cannot diagnose anything for sure but can give clues about what it could be?
Endometrium ( the inner most layer of our womb) usually produces a mid line echo on ultrasound which is uniform & its thickness very depending upon various factor.
Endometrial echogenic foci can appear due to many reasons like, blood clots in menstruating or recently delivered patients. Other common causes are, retained products of conception, retained blood, pus, polyps, fibroids, uterine septums, adhesions, foreign bodies, endometrial hyperplasia or uterine cancers etc.
Let me assure you that uterine cancer is very rare in women less than 40 years & you should not be so worried if you don't have any symptoms.
If you have any clinical problem please see your doctor for evaluation or you may write back to me with more details so that i can help you better.
Hope this is a helpful response to you.
Take care & have a peaceful day
Follow-up: What is the cause for echogenic foci endometrium? Is this cancerous? 1 hour later
Thanks for the quick response. I am planning for 2nd baby and went for regular pre-pregnancy tests. During pap smear doc said i got cervical polyps and send me for ultrasound. After ultrasound, i was told I got echogenic foci endometrium and I have to get hystersonography. It might take upto 3 months to get an appointment.
Also my periods is bit delayed by 5 - 10 days and its light. It starts with some brown discharge and then nothing for 2 days. then very light periods for 2 days followed by brown discharge for 2 days for the last 6 months. i read thru forum and it says could be anovulation. but then i get the white discharge during the 11 days of my cycle and also i did ovulation test last month and it showed positive LH surge. I used to be very regular with my periods before. Is it due to this echogenic foci? will it affect my fertility and pregnancy? also recently i am getting pains on my wrist and back for no apparent reason and feeling bit tired and dizzy. please help me analyse the situation. I am usually fit, I eat healthy. Now I feel fatigue and confused with all this doc visits and tests and physios.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 6 hours later
It is my pleasure to help you out as far as possible for me.
I think you need hysteroscopy, polypectomy & endometrial sampling ( which includes viewing your womb through an endoscope, removing polyps & taking biopsy from endometrium) to confirm the diagnosis & to get it treated. You can discuss this with your doctor.
Delayed periods may also cause endometrium to appear thick & echogenic as it is not shedding properly.
A change in regularity & pattern of periods is always significant & need evaluation. You should report this to your Gynecologist & have your hormone level checked up ( at least Thyroid & Prolactin levels.
Wish you good health.