What is the cause and treatment for irregular periods?

Mar 2013
I have had irregular periods for 4 years now, I only had it 3 times in the last 4 years so my previous gyn put me on lutera- which I took dec- into XXXXXXX and got my period XXXXXXX 2nd. Since then I have had been bleeding heavily for 8 days- and finished the white pills (3rd) week a few days ago- I now went to see another gyn and she told me to take two white pills a day for the next 5 days- skip the placebo and start a new pack right away. Is this right? im not sure what to do I have been very dizzy and nautious for the past two days- should I continue taking lutera?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Have you taken a pregnancy test - if you are sexually active, please do so. Next, please have an evaluation for the cause of your highly irregular periods. I suspect you would be having PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome. It is a condition of basic hormonal imbalance - the ovary is studded with multiple follicles ( resembling cysts ). None of these follicles mature to form an egg, so ovulation is unpredictable, and cycles are irregular. Apart from oral contraceptive hormonal pills ( like Lutera ) other medications can be taken to control PCOS. These include Metformin, which will help to regulate cycles. Also, if you are overweight, try and lose weight, it will also have a positive impact on your cycles. For now, Yes, skip the placebo pills, and take the pills twice daily till the bleeding stops. After that continue taking one tablet each , and have the workup for PCOS. This will include a thorough internal check up - per vaginum and per speculum. Also a pelvic transvaginal ultrasound scan, and hormonal tests - FSH, LH, TSH, prolactin, OGTT, DHEAS, free testosterone, Lipid Profile. All the best. PLease feel free to discuss further.
Follow-up: What is the cause and treatment for irregular periods? 12 hours later
hi doctor, yesterday i got scared so i did not take any pills. the day before i took 2. the bleeding seems to be the same- I had an ultrasound done yesterday and it showed a thick lininng- 7.0 cm if i am reading the sonogram correctly- i am leaving on vacation early tues morning and am very nervous about this bleeding- I need it to really stop by monday. The doctor I saw yest told me to stop taking the lutera completely but the initial doctor said to continue- which should i do? how much longer can i bleed for?on the bottom of the sonogram: L.t: ovary 3.00cm top says : 7.0 cm MI:1.3 Gen Tis: 0.3 i had blood work done as well. I am not pregnant- and I am not overweight- forgot to add.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 11 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi You are not reading the sonogram correctly at all. There has to be a report ( inference ) typed in at the end of the scan film. Please upload the scan so that i can go through it , and guide you accordingly. You have now been very erratic with the pills. If you stop lutera, you might just go on bleeding. Take two tablets at a time till the bleeding stops ( should be within 2 - 3 days ) and then continue the next pack back to back. Take care.