What is papillary carcinoma and how dangerous is it?

What is papillary carcinoma and how much is dangerous? My girlfriend have just had a test result but I'm not sure about it. The doctor said its a dangerous cancer
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Most common thyroid cancer.Good Survival,Prognosis Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Based on how the cancer cells look under microscope, we divided thyroid cancers into 4 main types. 1. Papillary Carcinoma 2. Follicualr Carcinoma 3. Medullary Carcinoma 4. Anaplastic Carcinoma. Papillary carcinoma in thyroid is a relatively common well-differentiated thyroid cancer. Despite of its well-differentiated characteristics, it may be overtly or minimally invasive. In fact, these tumors may spread easily to other organs. They have a propensity to invade lymphatics ( nearby lymph nodes) but are less likely to invade blood vessels. That is why she have lymph node involvement in neck. It is the most common form of thyroid cancer to result from exposure to radiation. She must further investigated for any secondaries in other parts. Because the survival rate is low in patients with secondaries. Prognosis is better in female patients. Further she is Less than 45 and the tumor is not very large. This may have good prognosis after surgery. My advice is to remove the Thyroid gland followed by radio iodine therapy. she will be given Thyroxine, vitamin D and calcium supplementation for life time, if your treating doctor planned total thyroidectomy. Overall survival rate for papillary thyroid cancer is excellent. More than 95% of adults with this cancer survive at least 10 years. Periodic neck ultrasound is mandatory to monitor the her thyroid status after surgery. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.