What is gianotti crosti syndrome? How to get cured and what should be done?

Is there anyone on here who is familiar with Gianotti Crosti Syndrome? My son is on day 50 of this. His spots are starting to look extremely dry. Is this the normal course or should I be lotioning? seeking other prof help? They don't seem to be getting better AT ALL!
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 30 minutes later

Gianotti crosti syndrome [papular acrodermatitis of childhood] can be caused by Cytomegalovirus, enterovirus, Ganciclovir or Acyclovir is given accordingly.

If the child presents with systemic symptoms, additional antibiotics are prescribed due to bacterial co-infection.

Generally the infection is more common in preterm babies. Early diagnosis and treatment generally has a good prognosis. For the drying lesions you can apply alovera containing moisturising creams.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have further enquiries.

Follow-up: What is gianotti crosti syndrome? How to get cured and what should be done? 5 hours later
I've been told it's an auto immune response to the coxsackie virus. I guess I'm more concerned that it doesn't look any better than day one? Have you herd of cases lasting longer than 60 days? Are anti viral meds even appropriate for 11 month olds? Is this predicative of auto immune issues for when he is older? Thanks for your help. -XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shanmugapriya 36 hours later
Hi there.
Apologies for stepping in for my colleague but apparently she is 'away' or 'indisposed' & I was requested to step in for her.
You are right in that yes, Coxsackie may be responsible for Gianotti Crosti syndrome but which virus it is is largely semantics & the managment will remain the same. I note with interest your son has had prior viral infections as in Hand/Foot/Mouth disease & Croup et al. Do not worry, these things take time to settle down & antiviral treatments largely decrease viral load & to an extent decrease the severity of the ailment, but not cause automatic reversal as one would expect while say using an antibiotic for a bacterial infection to provide an analogy.
Yes cases do last long & are dependent on the 'immunity' of the individual. Perhaps a good time to consult a paediatrician or an immunologist to see if there is any underlying factor responsible for depressed immunity.
I am personally am against giving tiny children antivirals unless absolutely required but your paediatrician is probably best suited to answer that query.
No, it is not predictive of autoimmune diseases when he grows older unless as I said there is some underlying disorder affecting immunity say for example an enzyme deficiency but little kids go through these phases & I would stop worrying so far down the line.
Good luck.
Hope this answers all your queries & strongly suggest some immunomodulating exercises like taking a holiday & doing whatever makes this child happy as am a firm believer in a happy child being a healthy child.