What is causing cramping sensation in the brain and short term memory loss?

Aug 2012

cramping sensation in the right side of brain along with loss of short term memory. What could be the cause, I have being having this problem since my gland has been removed.
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Madhuri Patil 2 hours later
Hi Dear,

Can you tell how many months or years back your thyroid was removed?
Did your doctor put you on Thyroid hormone replacement?
Did he/she also put you on calcium supplement and active Vit D supplement?
If the answer is 'no' for the replacement/ supplements then this is the most probable reason for your symptoms.
Kindly get your TSH, serum Calcium, Serum albumin, Serum Phosphorous, and ALP (Alkaline Phosphatase) done and let me know where you stand.
Till that start on over the counter calcium supplement three times a day which would be harmless. Addition of active Vit D can be decided on the basis of your above mentioned TSH and calcium profile report only.
Do not worry. It is common to have such symptoms when your thyroid is removed- they either come if your TSH has gone up or your if Calcium has gone down due to the surgery.
Shall wait for your reply. Take care.