What is calcified granulomatous disease? Does it lead to tuberclosis or is it considered as tuberclosis ?

Question
What is calcified granulomatous disease. Will it lead to tuberclosis or can be considered as tuberclosis. I am 43 yrs, weight 64 kg, non-smoker and healthy with no issues. Recent X-ray indicated a few small calcified granuloma in each lung, largest in the base of the left upper lobe lateral measures 5mm. I am going for pre-employment medical screening and wondering will this be an issue.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Calcified granulomatous disease is not any active infection or disease.

It is an indication of an old disease which has got healed. The commonest cause of a granuloma in the lung in India is tuberculosis.

As you’ve got these granulomas in the upper lobe and the propensity of tuberculosis is maximum in the upper lobes of the lung, tuberculosis seems to be the likely culprit.

Many a times we do get asymptomatic tuberculosis infection which may not manifest in the form of fever, cough etc but may appear later in the form of calcified granulomas.

Once the diseased/infected part has got calcified, it means it has got healed. This is the nature’s way of controlling the disease and preventing its spread to other areas or organs of the body.

This is done by our immune systems by depositing calcium in the areas to restrict the spread of the disease. The calcified granulomas cannot lead to active tuberculosis.

Moreover, this will not hamper in any way in your employment.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing your husband a good health.

Follow-up: What is calcified granulomatous disease? Does it lead to tuberclosis or is it considered as tuberclosis ? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

Thanks for your response. My only worry is the last part of the x-ray report. The complete text is:

“There are a few small calcified granuloma in each lung, largest in the base of the left upper lobe lateral measures 5mm.
Minor accentuation of lung markings bilateral.
Change compatible with remote granulomatous disease such as tuberculosis.
Otherwise negative.”

Can you please elaborate the above.

Kind regards,
Vijesh

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

As mentioned in the report, the tuberculosis is a possibility but it is a tuberculosis of the past. It is not an active disease. The tuberculosis has healed but it has left a scar XXXXXXX in the x-ray and this scar is going to remain there the rest of your life. However, as I had mentioned earlier you don't have any active tuberculosis disease as per the x-ray chest and you don't need any treatment for the same.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you a good health.

Follow-up: What is calcified granulomatous disease? Does it lead to tuberclosis or is it considered as tuberclosis ? 16 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Is there any ways or methods' to get rid of the scars. I heard laser therapy removes the scars completely. If yes, is it safe or has any side effects. I will be undergoing another pre-employment medical check next week, will laser therapy have any effects on x-ray? I am planning to go for laser therapy in 2 days. Will I be able to do exercises i.e. treadmill, running as needed for the medical check in another 6 days after the therapy?

Also, can you advise any other things (food, exercises etc) to eliminate the scars?

Thank you, you had been a great help.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later
Thanks for posting the query.

Unfortunately, there's no method of removing the scars/calcifed granulomas from the lungs and importantly it is not required.

The laser therapy which you have mentioned is used for removing the scars from the skin and not from the lungs.

There's no doubt that exercise is good for the body and the calcified granulomas will in no way interfere in reducing your exercise capacity. There's no specific exercise and food which can help in removing the calcified granulomas from the lungs.

Moreover, they should not be a hindrance in your employment.

I'll suggest consulting a pulmonologist for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Best Wishes.