What is bulbar palsy and what are the symptoms?

My husband has parkinson's disease and is currently in the hospital in ICU with a ventilator. The doctor mentioned bulbar palsy may be why he can't swallow or breath on his own. Can you give me a definition and description of bulbar palsy? Thank you very much, XXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Follows Detailed Answer: Dear Madam, Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that bulbar palsy occurs due to impairment of function of the cranial nerves IX, X, XI and XII, , these are the lower cranial nerves and actively involved with functions of body like swallowing etc and there palsy results in difficulty in swallowing , chewing , nasal regurgitation , slurring of speech etc. So sometimes it is necessary to do a tracheostomy for maintainence of breathing. Take care. Dr.Shruti