Ask a Urologist   »  

What is brain stem injury and does in cause urine incontinence ?

Recovering from CVA (blood clot @base of brain stem) 3 yrs ago, began having issues w/incontinence 1 yr ago - Dr gave Vesticare - doesn't seem to be helping anymore. 'heard' that stomach problems could be an issue here. Had feeding tube for about a year. Drugs currently taken are: Baclafen & Vesicare. Reoccuring UTI's also noted. Is something else possibly causing this issue? If so What needs to be checked?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Hi ,

Since you had a CVA and subsequent damage to the brain stem which could result in defective autonomic nervous system causing bladder incontinence.

The medication you are on do help if that is the case, but I do recommend you to visit a Neurologist once who can ask for imaging studies , urodynamic studies and evaluate the scale of improvement in the damaged brain stem . Also he will help in speeding the recovery.

Recurrent UTI can be a result of the incontinence and in turn aggravate the incontinence ( Vice versa ).Hence I do suggest you to go for a urine culture and get yourself on best antibiotics and treat the same.Also do consume Cranberry juice which will reduce the incidences of urinary infections.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.