What is best medicine for itchy rashes on shoulders?

Jan 2014

Dear Doctor I have rashes on my shoulders. I use dermicool talcum powder however its not reduced though. Can you suggest any medicine?. Thanks XXXXX
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need more information about rashes. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX I would need some more information on the rashes so as to be able to manage better. Are they present on both sides? How long have these rashes been present? Are they itchy? Can you elaborate a little more about how these rashes look? are they small like insect bites or are they a few big patches? Do you have these rashes on any other part of the body? How is the weather in your part of the world?Is it Winter? or is it Summer? Do they look like acne? do you have acne on face? If possible send me a picture with good clarity of the affected area. take care regards
Follow-up: What is best medicine for itchy rashes on shoulders? 29 minutes later
Hi Dr Kakkar Thanks for your reply. Yes rashes are like small insects kind of acnes and they itch a bit.. I'm being suffering from this quite a long time from now. In my college days I used get a lot of these so I consulted the local doctor and he said its due to weather (Coastal) but now I have moved to Bangalore were weather is quite pleasant but still this issue is on going. I don't have acne on my face. Many Thanks XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
Brief Answer: Acne Corporis/ ?pityrosporum folliculitis Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for the information. From your description they seem to be Acne(trunk)/Acne corporis. Another possibility i would have kept is of pityrosporum folliculitis (because if itchiness) even though Pityrosporum folliculitis ITCHES a lot and is commonly seen in hot, humid weather conditions. Clinically both look the same except the itching part which is prominent in Pitryosporum folliculitis. Acne usually does'nt itch or they itch only slightly. (You said that they 'itch a bit'). So i am ruling out pityrosporum folliculitis in your case specially in cities like bangalore which have pleasant weather Acne commonly involves face, trunk, chest and shouders. All these areas may or may not be involved simultaneously. Weather does seem to play a role in acne but its not the sole factor. At 26 years its very common to have acne. Trunk acne is more resistant and more prone to relapse then facial acne. If i were your treating doctor i would have advised you to apply benzoyl peroxide gel. Its available in various strengths 2.5%, 5% and 10 %. Its used in both OTC and prescription acne products. 5% or 10% is recommended for use on back once or twice daily. Benzoyl peroxide Wash/Soap is also available and is convenient to use. I would advice that you be put on a course of oral antibiotics like Doxycycline OR Azithromycin for 4-6 weeks, if the lesions are inflammatory (Papules and pustules). You should visit a dermatologist to get a prescription for these. For mild to moderate disease Benzoyl peroxide 5% or 10% works very well, all by itself. take care regards
Follow-up: What is best medicine for itchy rashes on shoulders? 3 hours later
Hello Thanks for your valuable advice. Can I meet you for a check up? Nice evening Bye
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: you are welcome Detailed Answer: Hi. thanks for appreciating. Sure can meet me for check up. I am in Haryana (North India) regards dr. kakkar
Follow-up: What is best medicine for itchy rashes on shoulders? 12 hours later
Hi Good morning. Haryana is way too far for me but anyways I really thank you for your advice and will be in touch for sure. Have a great weekend. Many Thanks XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: Have a great weekend you too! Dr. kakkar