What happens if LDL Cholestrerol - Direct test value is less than the normal range?
User rating for this question
Hi, Would like to know what happens if LDL Cholestrerol - Direct test value is less than the normal range. My mom's test value is 76 mg % and the range is between 85 - 130 mg %. Request to explain and clarify the same. Regards, XXXXX
Posted Tue, 17 Dec 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 34 hours later
Brief Answer: please see details Detailed Answer: Dear sir/ Madam 1. The target LDL cholesterol for each individual is different and is determined by clinical condition. If a patient has diabetes or anginal heart disease or any other cardiovascular disease, The target is less than 100 mg%. In certain subset of patients with coronary artery disease the target is < 70 mg%. 2. There are anecdotal reports in literature which says that low cholesterol levels can pre-date cancer but the association is not clear. In one of the studies published in 2012 the authors suggested that low cholesterol levels pre-dates cancer by 18 years! still, they refrained from making any conclusion and said that study does not suggest that low -LDL somehow leads to cancer. Neither they suggested how much low is low. Nor there was a cause and effect relationship demonstrated. Another recent meta analysis also said that bringing down LDL with statins to very low levels may be associated with slightly increased risk of cancer which is not cause and effect relation. 3. Since we are targeting individuals to levels <70 mg%, a level a 76 mg% is acceptable as per current literature and consensus. However she must be evaluated by an internist for any existing medical condition. Hope this provides some insight into the issue. Feel free to discuss further. Sincerely Sukhvinder
People also viewed
- How to administer gestone injection bp
- Ldl direct blood test
- Is bloating a side effect of chlorpheniramine/hydrocodone/pseudoephedrine?
- Is behavior changesmemory problems a side effect of eszopiclone?
- Normal hdl and ldl values
- What is direct ldl cholesterol
- Administer meds to elderly law
- Normal ldl direct level
- Slow heart rate and adrenal crisis
- Is color changes in the skin around the eyes a side effect of lumigan?
- Is swelling of the front part of the neck a side effect of octreotide?
- Possible right atrial adnormality
- Adjectival form of heart
- Is fast or irregular breathing a side effect of hydrocodone/ibuprofen?
- Tested for direct ldl cholesterol what does the value signify