What does "the right and left ventrical's of the brain is upper normal" indicate?

Pediatrician, Surgery
Hello doctor, My wife is got perganent recently now she is her 28 weeks ,which is 7 months.During her 5 month scan the doctor has informed the right and left ventrical's of the brain is upper normal ,have attached the documents reports for your reference. Post discussion with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and our doctor. Dr XXXXXXX had mentioned the following:- 10mm is considered the upper limit . Any increase more than that is considered dilatation . Regular ultrasound monitoring will track the dilatation. An MRI can be done to look for any anomalies (has been done recently for the same,the report stated right lateral to be upper normal and the rest being normal ) . If the dilatation steadily increases in utero then a pediatric neuro surgeon may be consulted and the possibility of surgery in utero may be considered . It's risky but is done at higher medical centres . The maximum dilatation needing attention will depend on the fetal condition . If the there is no fetal distress pregnancy can be continued with monitoring . By my opinion normally dilatation upto 12-14 mm manage to get to term . Again i must stress that each case is different and the rate of increase differs . Right now your dilatation is almost the upper limit of normal . I would recommend a repeat scan in 3 weeks to check the change , if any . Thereafter repeat scan every 2 weeks to monitor the rate of increase . Our dcotor as well check the reports and informed its normally.But im confused since the right lateral had been increase to 11.4 cms.As previous discussed by Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is it safe to continue the term of pregenacy?Since all other reports are normally. Regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Anand Sinha 19 hours later
Brief Answer: You should allow the pregnancy to cont till term Detailed Answer: Thank you for placing your query on Health Care Magic I can understand your concern regarding the baby. To be honest the ventricle is a little dilated, a condition called hydrocephalus. But on the positive side the dilatation is borderline. The hazard of excessive dilatation is that it presses on the surrounding brain and hampers it's development. Beyond a certain point it becomes irreversible. That's what we need to prevent. but doing something during the pregnancy also has its hazards. It invariably leads to preterm delivery and there are a lot of risks associated with prematurity. In addition there are not a lot many centres who are equipped with fetal surgery. And then there is cost. So although it seems lucrativ, it has its own pitfalls. In your case the dilatation is mild. I don't think it should be hampering the brain development. As a matter of fact your baby may not need surgery even after birth. Some of them can be managed with drugs. So I suggest you continue pregnancy till term. Even if there is a need for surgery it will be far better tolerated by a full term baby. just put your anxieties aside. It is important for the mother. Let her enjoy a normal pregnancy and child birth. I am sure we can manage the baby life timely after delivery and there should not be any problems. hope that answers your queries. God bless you Dr Anand Sinha