What does red cervix in a pap smear test during pregnancy indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I had a Pap smear today and the doctor said my cervix are abit red, I'm 12 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child I'm also 23 yr old
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer: It may be due to homonal changes,cervicitis etc. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX You should wait for Pap smear report. Red cervix may be due to many reasons.It may be due to hormonal changes during pregnancy,infection,cancer etc. It should be related clinically. It is important to know history of discharge,pain,itching,burning sensation during urination,lower back pain etc. If it is pregnancy related changes then you don't need any active management. Infection during pregnancy need to be treated with antibiotics because infection may lead to abortion. Pap smear will also exclude cancer. Proper management depends upon history,clinical examination and Pap smear report. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does red cervix in a pap smear test during pregnancy indicate? 40 minutes later
Really scared it's cancer, every now and then I have a pain in right it left side lower back that goes in my leg but always thought it was sciatica. So scared Also my last all which was 24 months ago was clear?im really worried and I know I need to wait for results of Pap smear but I'm just wanting reassurance that's is most likely something else? Or not

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: You should wait for Pap smear report. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX Thanks for writing back You shouldn't be so worried.Cancer cervix has many other features that is not present in your case.Besides redness it is bulky in appearance associated with bleeding,discharge,pain etc. You should wait for Pap smear report.Most likely it is due to hormonal changes or cervicitis. You are right.Back pain radiating to lower limbs may be due to disc prolapse.You need MRI L/S Spine for confirmation.After delivery you can go for definitive treatment. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX