What does "mild small vessel disease" mean?

Nov 2013

I have had an mri scan and been told I have 'mild small vessel disease. I do not smoke, have ok cholesterol and exercise. Is this just the normal sign of aging . I need some reassurance now.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Small vessel disease refers to small areas of ischemia (lack of blood flow to brain). Though it is more common with ageing, it is not a sign of ageing, as it can occur in younger people too. There is no need to worry about it. The underlying risk factors such as BP, sugar, cholesterol and homocysteine need to be kept within normal limits. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: