What does "lung bases with atelectasismn and Lumbar abnormalities" mean and could this have affected the spine?

For starters I am in the military therefore their medical practice is by far not the best and I need help. 31 May, 2009 I went in to my BAS clinic. I told the Naval Chief that I was experiencing urination problems burning etc. and that I believed it to be a UTI or worse because the side of my right back was hurting. As well as I was having breathing problems. I had x-rays done of my hips and chest as well as a throat culture and urine sample. I had severe swollen lymph nodes in my groin and in my neck. I was diagnosed with acute bronchitis, sinusitis, and bursitis right hip. I was given a z-pak 6 pills, albuterol, pseudoephedrine, and oxycodone/ acetaminophen and sent on my way. I went back in on XXXXXXX 12, 2009 because I was not getting any better (since it is now 2013 and I am now able to get ahold of my medical records I am reading from the Chiefs computer notes myself). It was noted in my medical record that when I originally went in on May 31, 2009 and the throat culture and urinalysis was taken the results were back 2 days later and it showed Streptococcus pyogenes, abundant growth of Beta Hemolytic. My urinalysis said specific gravity 1.003, pH 6.0, WBC (55), Leukocyte Esterase (moderate), bacteria (occasional), WBC clumps (rare). As I was saying, when I went back in on XXXXXXX 12, because I was not getting better, the doctor noted that pharynx had an exudate, had yellow exudate. Anterior cervical lymph nodes were enlarged, Anterior cervical lymph nodes were enlarged bilaterally. Lungs Rhonchi were heard bilaterally, Expiratory rhonchi. Skeletal- Hips showed abnormalities, tenderness on palpation of the trochanteric bursa, hip abductor showed tenderness, etc. Physical findings from that visit was Mucoid nasal discharge and tenderness of sinusses. I was not given anymore antibiotics. I finally got so sick that I went into the hospital on 26 XXXXXXX 2009 a CT was ordered and another urinalysis was taken that day. Lab results for that were PH (5.5), Protein (50), Gravity (1.014), blood (small), Leukocyte Esterase (Large) RBC (4) WBC (117) Epithelial Cells (10) Bacteria (occasional) Mucous (rare) and WBC clumps (occasional). The results for the CT were lung bases with atelectasis. Patchy areas of enhancement present right kidney. Mild right perinephric stranding. Specific free fluid, and Lumbar/Lumbosacral spine exhibited abnormalities. Was given pain killers and Levaquin sp? Can someone break this all down for me as to what all of this meant. Obviously I wasnt given the proper medical care. But most of all what does my CT scan mean and Lumbar abnormalities mean? Is it possible that this could have affected my spine and this is the reason why as to me having scoliosis now? I never had scoliosis a day in my life until I was diagnosed with it via x-ray a month ago. When I originally went in on May 31, 2009 and my culture results came back I was never told I had Strep nor did I even know I had Strep until I looked at my medical records about 2 days ago.
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please refer to the following suggestions... Detailed Answer: Hi, I read your medical history and understood your concerns. According to your symptoms, they indicate a possible angina (tonsillitis) which has been associated with urinary tract infection. The most common cause of tonsillitis is streptococcus pyogenes (as shown in your throat culture). Usually, strep infection is associated with urinary tract (kidney) infections (as shown in your urine analysis). The very best treatment is by using antibiotics such as z-pack you already did together with anti-inflammatory drugs (oxycodone/acetaminophen). However, the treatment is not limited. It should be repeated until the complete healing is assured by lab analysis. Commonly, strep throat is also associated with joint problems. The tenderness and joint problems seen in the x-ray could be partially due to strep infection. Usually, in such cases, you might need injections of penicillin as scheduled by your rheumatologist. Furthermore, I'd suggest to : - measure the fibrinogen, protein c reactive and erythrosedimentation rate - measure the antistreptolysin and rheumatoid factor - repeat urine analysis and throat culture and sensitivity - do ECG and cardiac echo to rule out cardiac problems - do abdominal ultrasound With regards to scoliosis, it could be related to possible infection of the spinal bones or due to muscular problems. The rheumatologist and orthopedist would further evaluate and determine the right cause and treatment. All the best! Feel free to ask me other questions you might have! I'd be honored to assist you further! Dr.Alba