What does 'finding of a shadow on an ovary' indicate in an ultrasound?

What does a finding of a shadow on an ovary during ultrasound mean?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help... Detailed Answer: Before we discuss the finding that you are describing, can you please tell me the reason for the scan in the first place? What were your symptoms? Thank you.
Follow-up: What does 'finding of a shadow on an ovary' indicate in an ultrasound? 1 hour later
Hello, I went bc I was experiencing a lot of pelvic pressure the last couple of months as well as a lot of gas and bloating. No unusual bleeding, no pain during intercourse, no need to urinate frequently, no change in weight or appetite.
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: So you are a 45 year old with 2 months of pelvic pressure / gas / bloating. Otherwise feeling well. Findings on ultrasound of a "shadow" on an ovary. With regard to the ovary, there are several findings that are described: 1. The overall size 2. The presence of normal cysts 3. The presence of abnormal cysts 4. The presence of solid tumors Now, the description of a "shadow" implies an area that is less dense than the surrounding ovarian tissue. This sounds like a very non-specific finding and if that was the only thing noted, then I would not be too concerned, BUT it should be followed up with a repeat ultrasound within about 6 weeks. With regard to concern about ovarian cancer, one usually sees: 1. Ovarian cysts with internal solid components 2. Free fluid within the pelvis 3. The description of a "shadow" on an ovary would NOT be a comment that would indicate a concern regarding cancer But none of this really deals with the symptoms for which you originally presented. If your OB/GYN is not concerned about the ovary, make sure that they arrange for a followup ultrasound. In the meantime, ask for a GI consult to deal with what sounds a bowel related problem. From a GYN perspective, the question asked is usually "is this a GYN problem or not". I know it sounds intuitive, but it is important to distinguish the source of the symptoms so that you do not undergo unnecessary treatment. Let me know if this helps!