What does a small hard lump between the anus and scrotum indicate?

General Surgeon
A few weeks ago, I noticed a small hard bump between my anus and scrotum, closer to my anus (on the inside of my right cheek). It remained relatively the same size and caused no pain. Last week I squeezed it in the shower, trying to drain it to no avail. Instead, the small bump became inflamed and is now much larger, probably the size of the tip of my pinky finger. It's not particularly painful, but is tender to the touch. It also feels like it's full of some kind of semi-solid mass. It doesn't look like a pimple, no apparent head; it's just a large reddish lump. I'm a 33 yo, otherwise healthy and active male. I have no history of problems down there. I've begun applying warm compress a couple of times a day, but have yet to notice any change. Any idea what I may be dealing with?
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: Rectal fistula or hemorrhoid. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such lump can be an abscess due to pathologic connection between the rectum and the skin (fistula) or hemorrhoid. If its close to the anus verge, hemorrhoids is most possible. As this lump is tender and filled with some liquid stuff (pus most likely), an incision is necessary to drain it and evacuate the puss. Otherwise it may get only worse. If the fistula is suspected, pelvis MRI needs to be done. Please visit general surgeon. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What does a small hard lump between the anus and scrotum indicate? 38 minutes later
Would a perianal abscess form after squeezing an otherwise unchanging bump? I've researched abscesses and, other than the inflamed lump itself, I have no other symptoms. No significant pain or discomfort. It's far enough away from the anus that I feel confident it's not a hemorrhoid. Is it possible that it's anything else?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: Sqeezing can accelerate abscess formation. It is really hard to give precise answer not even seeing it. It might be something else like hair follicle inflamation or other skin infection. Either way it needs to be drained. Regards