What does a red rash on the inner thigh indicate?

i have developed a red rash on my inner thighs and now my left thigh is swollen and painful. i am 75 years old and have been lifting my old doggie from the floor by lifting his rear end. can this have strained a muscle or a vein and caused the rash? also, when i sit for a while, i have pain when i get up -- it goes away after a while. thanks
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Local cream, NSAID with muscle relaxant Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for using HCM. I went through your query and understood your concerns. The red rash on the inner thigh most commonly occurs due to fungal infection, where in there will be severe itching with swollen rashes. Since you are experiencing pain in upper thigh at times when lifting dog, this suggests there may be chance of muscle catch / sprain. For my patients in such cases I will ask them to follow the below mentioned measures 1. Application of clotrimazole with beclomethazone cream on inner thigh for rash and local inflammation. 2. NSAID like aceclofenac with muscle relaxant like tizanidine or chlorzoxazone. 3. Good hydration. 4. Always wear clean and sun dried cotton dress, and keep the area dry. 5. Avoid lifting heavy things for some days. These will help you Hope this information helps you. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Regards