What does a purplish bruise on the side of the tongue indicate?

Question
What kind of specialist treats tongue problems? I have a purplish bruise on the side of my tongue which does not go away.What does cancer of the tongue look like? Your response should be transmitted with as little high tech as possible. I have no idea what my PDF is. Just keep it simple as in an email. Thanks.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Surgeon and Dentist. May be a Tongue cancer. Biops Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Usually Tongue cancer is suspected in the following conditions 1. Swelling or thickening of tongue which does not go away. 2. Sore in the tongue that does not go away 3. Colored spot either white, pink or purple that does not go away 4. Unexplained Numbness in tongue 5. Unexplained and uncontrolled spontaneous bleeding ( ie. Not by bite or other injury). It is important to remember that these symptoms may be due to a less serious medical condition like vitamin deficiencies. The long standing purple bruise in the side of the tongue may be due to Vitamin deficiencies like Riboflavin deficiency. But any longstanding colored spot in tongue, should be examined and investigated for Cancer. If the surgeon or dentist think of it is a cancer on examination, he may advise Biopsy of the tissue to rule out any cancer. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.

Follow-up: What does a purplish bruise on the side of the tongue indicate? 33 minutes later
Thank you for your answer. I will go to my doctor soon.

Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. Hope i solved your query and if so please close the query. Please write back for further queries.