What does MRI in relation to knee surgery mean? Does cortisone injections are given instead of Surgery?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Right knee only I have advanced degenerative change in right knee,complete loss of joint space,sclerosis and large osteophytes (no other symptoms) My Doctor writes to orthopedic surgeon,"I don't think he is a candidate for MRI" Questions (1) What does he mean by MRI in relation to knee surgery? (2) Does he mean cortisone injections instead of Surgery ? (I hope so) XXXXXXX Larking ,73 Baker Street Richmond Melbourne, XXXXXXX AUSTRALIA Thank You
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: In late cases joint replacement is only option. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. MRI reveals soft tissue and ligamentous structure more clearly. In early stages of osteoarthritis exercises, medicines ,joint supplements & intra articular( Cortisone or Hyaluronic acid ) injections are helpful & may revert the changes but in late cases joint replacement is only option. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care