What could the dirt like substance coming from vagina be?

Mar 2013
Getting brown, dirt-like substance when wiping vagina with strange odor (not fishy) and mild itchiness. What's the problem?
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your health concern. The brownish substance could be spotting. Mild spotting can occur due to some kind of anxiety, tensions on personal or professional front, weight gain, ingestion of hormonal medications ( birth control ) etc. ALso, if you are sexually active, please rule out a pregnancy or a related complication like miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy by a simple pregnancy test. Conditions such as a cervical erosion, polyp, uterine polyp, endometrial hyperplasia, polycystic ovarian disease also can cause prolonged spotting. The itching indicates a mild vaginal infection, as does the dirty discharge. For both the reasons, I would recommend a gynaecological evaluation. I would perform an internal check up ( per vaginum and per speculum ) for a patient coming to me. Then a vaginal swab should be taken to confirm the type of infection and discharge. A pelvic ultrasound scan should be done , if the discharge does not appear to be infectious, but is more like spotting. ALso hormonal levels ( FSH, LH, TSH, OGTT , DHEAS, Testosterone , Prolactin ) should be measured. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: What could the dirt like substance coming from vagina be? 1 hour later
I went to a clinic with an OBGYN on staff and she diagnosed it as bacterium vaginosis with a yeast infection, but i took the medicine and the problems still persist
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 8 hours later
Brief Answer: RE INFECTION / PERSISTENT INFECTION LIKELY Detailed Answer: Hello How long back where you diagnosed with this ? Bacterial vaginosis and yeast often coexist. Also, have you completed the entire course of treatment and antibiotics ? IF yes, then these infections are notorious for recurrence, and you might have acquired a repeat infection. You would then need to repeat the treatment course, if it is a re infection. Also, sometimes a single treatment regimen fails to clear a persistent infection. I would recommend a repeat evaluation as your symptoms have not subsided with the treatment. Take care.