What could be the cause of lumps below waist line that are hard and painful on touch ?

My age is 16, and I'm approximately 5"8 and I weight 140 pounds. I noticed some lumps on the right below the waist line right in the groin area. There are 2 and they are the size of a little marble, they are also hard at touch, and there is a bit of pain when touched. I have had them for 3 days now, and has never happened to me before. I just currently finished 4 weeks at a tennis academy in which I did a lot of hard work and running. I don't know if this has anything to do. I just want to know if it is something that I should worry about, and also if there is anything I could do to get rid of them.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query,

What you are describing sounds like you have some swelling of lymph nodes in the area of the groin. This can happen in response to an infection of some kind.

My first question to you is - have you had any symptoms suspicious for infection or urinary infection? Also, did you have any sexual exposure to another individual in the recent past?

Sometimes mild infections can present in this way. I would also need to know if you have any rash as that can also cause swelling of lymph nodes.

For the time being I recommend you drink plenty of fluids, stay well hydrates, take some extra rest and use ibuprofen 400 mg three times per day and keep an eye on things. If you have systemic symptoms of fever or chills then you should see your doctor more immediately for a full examination and possibly some lab tests.

I thank you again for submitting your query. I hope you found my answer to be both informative and helpful. I await any additional information which you might provide here.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What could be the cause of lumps below waist line that are hard and painful on touch ? 3 hours later
Well, I did have a cut on my right knee, the same side of the swelling. It has been 2 weeks since it happened, and well it was a very big cut, I don't know if any of that has anything to do. Also like I said before, I have been doing a lot of fitness the past 4 weeks, around 5 hours a day doing intense workouts and playing tennis. I did have sexual contact, but that was also 2 weeks ago. Does icing the area help?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

In general ice is not known to help but a trial of using some ice to the area for 10 minutes three times per day for a few days is not unreasonable.

The cut on the knee would make sense as a possible cause if there was some redness or inflammation involved as the cut healed. Please make sure the area has healed well and that there are no signs of swelling around the knee itself.

Finally - regarding the sexual contact - important to note in a case of unprotected contact because if there is any concern for a sexually transmitted infection you should be tested to rule that out as a contributing factor. Even with exposure two weeks previously it is not out of the question that something like you describe may be remotely related.

I thank you again for your query and followup. I hope this has been helpful for you. I am here for you if you have additional questions as well.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: What could be the cause of lumps below waist line that are hard and painful on touch ? 4 hours later
Well sir, concerning the knee, right now it is not healed yet, and also it got infected a couple of times due to the sweat, and exposure to the sun and dirt. Though there is no inflammation in the knee. Now the sexual contact was safe, I did use protection, and I am aware that the did not have any disease of any kind. But I would like to thank you for your help and advices, they have been good and helpful. I will go tomorrow morning to check myself up. One last question, what kind of doctor should I be looking for regarding my check up?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later

Thanks for the followup.

With the additional history you provided I am inclined to think the knee is the source of the lymph node swelling. For a followup visit I suggest you see a family practice doctor or an XXXXXXX medicine doctor - either of these are quite capable of taking care of you.

I wish you all the best and continued good health.

Dr. Galamaga