What could be the cause of a minor hard lump on the majoria labia under the skin ?

Hi, I went to the bathroom and found a minor lump on my majoria labia, the bump is under the skin not on top. it perfectly round and somewhat hard. what could this be I do not believe that this would be herpes but one never knows!
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

The causes for a small lump underneath the skin of the labia Majora could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and causes discomfort during sexual intercourse.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small absesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.

Herpetic infection presents with recent onset of painful and multiple ulcers and not as a painless swelling.

I hope this answers your questions effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: What could be the cause of a minor hard lump on the majoria labia under the skin ? 5 hours later
The bump is located at 1300 of the the clitoris.It is not ready to come to a head as of yet. Is there anything I can do on my own instead of going to an OBGYN? Also what would happen if I were to shave the labia majora in regaurds to cutting it?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 7 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.

The location and the description of the gland indicate that the swelling could be a cyst, and it could have originating from the XXXXXXX glands.

The location of the Skene's gland is the general area of the vulva, glands located on the anterior wall of the vagina around the lower end of the urethra.

In case you do not have any discomfort or pain, you may leave it just like that. Presence of redness , pain and discomfort during sex, could indicate that the gland is inflammed or infected, hence would need treatment with antibiotics and possible drainage.

Since this is a anatomical anomaly, it cannot be fixed with medications or by general means.

Since the swelling is within the subcutaneous tissue , and not within the epidermis (superficial part of the skin), Shaving the area would not cause any issues. But care should be taken not to have XXXXXXX cuts into the skin, which can result in infection of the cyst.

I hope this clears your doubts.