What could be the cause for nipple discharge?

I have had nipple discharge since the birth of my daughter 33 years years ago. I am now 57 years old. This has been checked by a specialist and there is no need to be concerned. The past couple of years a growth on the actual nipple has slowly grown larger. After checking out polytheism growths I have noted that a cause for these could be due to an aneurysm . Twelve years ago I had three brain operations - 2 were for mirror image berry aneurysms and a growth on my pituitary gland. Do I need to be concerned? Many thanks!
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: visit your gynaecologist Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. There could be many causes for nipple discharge. I agree that any benign brain growth or a pitutary tumor can cause nipple discharge. As you had three brain surgeries previously, so probably any benign growth in brain is not the cause of your discharge presently. Other causes could be ductal ectasia, ductal pappiloma, breast cancer etc. As there is a nipple growth along with discharge, in my opinion a mammography and if required a biopsy of growth is required. Ductal ectasia and pappiloma( both benign) as well as carcinoma are quite common in your age group, so its better that you meet a gynaecologist as soon as possible. Hope this helped. Take care