What causes vaginal discharge with fishy smell?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I have a dicharge that smells horrible almost fishy no distinguished color no symptoms no itching, my uterus is a little expanded and just a head ache i think is associated with wisdom teeth impact, what do you think it may be?
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly bacterial vaginosis Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Vaginal discharge with fishy smell is typical feature of bacterial vaginosis. But after examination and investigations only the possible cause for your problem can be identified and treated. So consult gynecologist once and get examined. Go for vaginal swab culture and sensitivity. With this workup the exact cause for your problem can be identified and treated. No need to worry about little bit bulky uterus if you are not having any problem with that. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes vaginal discharge with fishy smell? 12 hours later
I think it's bv or trichiomonis I think that's his you spell it!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Vaginal swab culture and sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hi, Bacterial vaginosis usually presents with thin, profuse discharge with fishy odor. Trichomonas vaginalis presents with profuse, frothy, offensive, yellowish vaginal discharge. In pictures it is appearing as trichomonas vaginalis. But sometimes mixed infections are also possible. By undergoing vaginal swab culture and sensitivity the causative organism and it's sensitivity towards the drugs can be identified and treated. Take care.

Follow-up: What causes vaginal discharge with fishy smell? 2 days later
Its not trichomonias they were able to tell, but im running fever worn down i hope i get results for ither stuff soon!

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Culture and sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hi, By culture and sensitivity the exact causative agent can be identified. As I told previously mixed infections are possible. Meanwhile you can start taking treatment for fever and related symptoms. Take care.