What causes tenderness between shoulders at c6 and c7 area?

woke up yesterday with tenderness between shoulders at c6/c7 area and thought it was just due to my travel schedule/normal stress - by the time I arrived home, noticed swelling and tenderness when palpating the area - this morning swelling somewhat reduced but still tender - very acute -
Posted Tue, 25 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Possibly due to muscle sprain Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXX The region of C6 and C7 is the most commonest site of muscular sprain. Stress, improper posture and muscle rigidity are the predisposing factors. The swelling and pain should subside over period of time. Restriction of neck movement is quite common. I would suggest you the following which will definitely help 1. Hot water fomentation: local application of hot water fomentation either by using hot water bottle or muslin cloth immersed in hot water and applied over the area of swelling. It will help reduce spasm, decrease pain and swelling 2. Local application of Diclofenac Sodium gel like Volini gel may be helpful 3. Adequate rest and sleep 4. Combination of analgesic like ibuprofen and muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxazone may provide the much needed relief. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you . Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD