What causes slow gut motility, constipation with severe cramps and pain?

hi i have slow gut motility had xray done showing lots of stools there cause of severe constipation have lots of high pitched bowell sounds today i took movicol and glycerine suppos now more gas than ever just passing small amounts of watery stools plus severe cramps and pain slow gut motility low thyroid severe paction of hard stools showing on my xray took movicol and glycerine suppos gas in my bowells are worse passing only small amounts of watery gassy motions severe pain and cramping all the time
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Constipation is due to thyroid hormone deficiency Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. In your case, the cause of slow gut motility with constipation, is apparently due to under-corrected thyroid problem. Dose of thyroid drug needs to be increased. If you are not on thyroid drug, it should be started immediately and the dose is gradually increased, till such time your Blood levels of thyroid hormones reach the normal range. To relieve severe constipation and thereafter, maintain regular bowel movements, the recommended course of action is :- (a) Firstly, take strong laxatives (called Purgatives), such as Lactulose in high doses, along with plenty or oral water, till you start having loose stools. Thereafter, start with stool-bulk forming agents, such as, Psyllium husk twice daily and subsequently daily at bedtime regularly. (b) Have HIGH FIBER diet daily; avoid refined sugars, confectionaries, fast foods. (c) Take Probiotics and digestive enzymes daily for 1-2 months. (d) Take at least 2.5 - 3 liters of water everyday. (e) Regular exercises. Your gut motility will be restored once the thyroid hormone levels reach normal levels in the blood. Further, chronic constipation can also be due to Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Consult your doctor and apprise him of my opinion. I am certain that he will agree with my opinion; order required tests, and- based on the reports- will prescribe suitable treatment as advised. Hope I have addressed to your concerns to your complete satisfaction and you find my response helpful and informative. I will be happy to answer further queries, if any. Fond regards and have a nice day, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes slow gut motility, constipation with severe cramps and pain? 10 minutes later
ok the thing with my thyroid it was not treated for many many years i have just being put onto thyroid meds my stomach will it still repair or is it to late
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Gut motility will become normal Detailed Answer: Hi Mrs. XXXXXXX Please don't worry: Your gut motility will become normal, once the thyroid condition is fully corrected. To fully correct thyroid condition, the dose of thyroid medicine will be increased every 6-8 weeks depending on the thyroid report, till blood levels of thyroid hormones become normal. Lastly, you will have to take thyroid medicine regularly AND LIFE-LONG. Fond regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal
Follow-up: What causes slow gut motility, constipation with severe cramps and pain? 12 minutes later
sorry to be painfull with the thyroid again i was told if left untreated for so long there will be damage done to the nerves of the stomach its being quite a long time with no treatment now going onto thyroxine will not repair that nerve is that correct or not cause i have lost so much weight cause of it.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Karanwal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: No damage to nerves in old thyroid problem Detailed Answer: Well, Mrs. XXXXXXX I am of the firm opinion that slow motility of the gut is due to hypothyroidism. From the information provided by you, there is no indication whatsoever, of a nerves disorder. I don't foresee any damage to nerves due to long-standing untreated hypothyroidism. I am totally convinced that gut motility will be restored with correction of thyroid hormonal replacement therapy. Regards, Dr. Rakesh Karanwal