What causes sharp pain up lateral neck and into the temporal region?

Nov 2013

Hi there I have been experiencing sharp shooting pains up my lateral neck and into my temporal region. These last only a few seconds and then go completely. It can happen 2 or 3 times a day, and then not at all for days... I am 40 y/o female with asthma, resonably fit and quite active... Should I be concernd?
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious neurological disease, so, there is no reason to be concerned. The symptoms point to a neuralgic pain, arising from the cervical (neck) region. If symptoms are mild, no action is needed. If the pain becomes severe, an MRI may be done to establish the cause. Pregabalin capsules may be used for pain relief, at that time. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: