What causes reccuring migraines?

Nov 2013

Hi, I have been getting migraines in the right, posterior hemisphere of my head for the last year, on and off, following a concussion. I play a contact sport and was wondering if there were any steps to take to assure that continued contact is not aggravating it and if I should discontinue playing. (I would say I have an array of other symptoms, such as brain fog, tiredness etc, but it is hard to tell if this is from the concussion) During the 16months since my concussion, it initially died down, but seems to present more often, usually days at a time, with a day relief in between. The pain is not incapacitating, but I want to make sure further head injuries are not going to be of concern and here your honest thoughts in general. I also have a history of Rolandic epilepsy, which I have grown out of and occurred upon waking about 4X (not sure if relevant). Also, I have noticed an ever present ringing in my ears since the concussion, that flairs up on physical contact. I play a tackling game called australian rules football. Regards
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your details and would like to reassure that you can continue playing the contact sport. However, I would like to advise you to get a brain MRI done to exclude any internal brain injury. Also, since your migraine episodes are very frequent, you would benefit from taking migraine preventive medications such as topiramate, beta blockers and divalproex. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Follow-up: What causes reccuring migraines? 4 hours later
No worries, thankyou. Will a GP be able to verify the internal brain injury? Or will I have to see a specialist?
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Thank you for getting back. Your GP would be able to identify the signs of internal brain injury, so, consulting him should be fine. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)