What causes pruritus of pregnancy?

My wife is 37 weeks pregnant with twins and is experiencing severe itching on her stomach, which is also covered with rashes. Her gynaec prescribed dermocalm, but without examining anything. This itching is however still severe and aggravates at night. Attached is a photo of the rashes
Posted Thu, 13 Mar 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: get liver function test done Detailed Answer: Hello I saw the photograph. She has developed pruritus of pregnancy. It is an itchy condition associated with pregnancy and disappears with delivery. Although the cause is unknown but sometimes it is associated with obstruction in bile flow. Please get her liver function test done. Let me know the result so I can guide you further. For now continue with dermocalm and if itch is severe give her avil tablet. Thank you
Follow-up: What causes pruritus of pregnancy? 35 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX Thanks for the response. Attached is LFT results. The itching has now spread to the hand, thigh and legs and is quite severe. Avil was unfortunately of not much help. Is there any other alternative that can be tried? Also can you confirm if this can cause any fetal distress. The C-Section is planned for Feb 20th - 37th week as it is twins. Should we talk to the gynaec about getting it preponed? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 36 hours later
Brief Answer: urodeoxycholic acid tablet Detailed Answer: Hello, There is bit derangement in LFT although not significant. You can ask your gynecologist to start urodeoxycholic tablets. This are quiet helpful in pruritus of pregnancy. Don't worry this itch will subside as soon as she delivers and avil doesn't have any side effect on developing fetus. Let the delivery be planned as schedule. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you