What causes pain in spine which radiates down into shoulder and arm.?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have been having serve pain in my C spine which radiates down into my right shoulder and down into my arm. I do have a moderate tilt in my C Spine and when it flares up my neck with tilt to the left side and flare up. I have tried acupuncture and chiropractic adjustments and nothing seems to give myself relief. I have a feeling that I could have a herniated disk but doesn't show anything on my xrays .
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Disc are better seen on MRI Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You are right , your symptoms could occur due to herniated disc. Disc are better seen on MRI, not on x-rays.An MRI scan of the cervical columns will help in establishing the proper diagnosis. The treatment for your problem will depend on the condition diagnosed. Generally, with early diagnosis and early treatment, one can expect favourable outcome after treatment. As you are very young, the therapeutic response will be good when compared to the elderly age groups. Temporarily, please follow the below mentioned measures to get some symptomatic relief - - avoid any movements that produces pain - do not use bulky pillow underneath your head while sleeping as this position will produce more compression of the nerves - Use a Soft collar which allow the muscles of the neck to rest and limit neck motion. This can help decrease pinching of nerve roots with movement. Soft collars should only be worn for short periods of time, because long-term wear can decrease the strength of neck muscles. - Analgesic (diclofenac & lornoxicam) and muscle relaxant (thiocolchicoside) combination medicines will provide symptomatic relief from pain & muscle spasm. Neurotropic vitamins like METHYLCOBALAMINE (activated Vit B12) or PREGABALIN will help in alleviating the neuropathic pain. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care