What causes pain in lower neck on swallowing when having cervical spurs and benign thyroid nodules on both sides of neck ?

ENT Specialist
For about a week I have a weird pain deep in the lower right side of my neck down near clavicle, that only hurts when I swallow. I cannot exactly pinpoint the exact spot of the pain when palpating the area. No problems eating or drinking, no hoarseness, just pain that comes and goes. It doesn't appear to be in my throat but rather next to it. No swelling or lumps and I haven't had a cold. If I turn my head to the right, there is no pain swallowing, only if I look straight or turn my head to the left. I have hayfever off and on. I also have cervical spurs and benign thyroid nodules on both sides of neck.
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Inflammatory or obstructive causes can be there. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. You are having pain in the lower neck on swallowing the causes of which can be: Inflammatory which can be inflammation or ulceration or mucosal breaks in the lining of lower pharynx or inlet of the food pipe. There can be inflammation or ulceration at the base of tongue or epiglottis. A short duration pain can be because of non specific inflammation and should go in few days with antacids. Obstructive which can because of cervical spurs which you have described in your findings, or masses which can have a variety of diagnosis but should not be guessed without an examination of the lower throat or esophagus. As you have thyroid nodules, a degenerative change in these nodules can also lead to such a pain although this is a rare possibility. Thyroiditis possibility should also be kept in mind. All these things should be discussed with your doctors and if after a course of proton pump inhibitors, the pain does not go, an ENT examination including endoscopy should be done. Feel free to ask another query. Regards